1 December 2020

LEAGUE ALERTS

ALL SPORTS NEWS

New York Mets Are Officially Sold to Steve Cohen

After months of speculation and working out the details, billionaire Steve Cohen has officially purchased the New York Mets and is now the majority owner of the team. The final steps that took place were the votes from the owners in which Cohen needed 23 of 30 MLB owners to approve of the deal. He also needed New York City mayor Bill de Blasio to sign off on the deal since Citi Field sits on land owned by the city.

Cohen received both and he is now the owner of the New York Mets owning 95% of the team with previous ownership group consisting of the Wilpon family and the Saul Katz owning the remaining 5%.

In his introductory statements as the new owner, Cohen expressed many of his interests for what he plans to do. The biggest thing he said was that he would re-instate all of the pre-pandemic salaries of all team employees reversing the 5-30% pay cut the employees received back in March. Cohen is now the richest owner in baseball with a net worth of around $14 Billion with the second richest owner being Nationals’ owner Mark Lerner who’s only worth approximately $5 Billion. Cohen is also expected to implement big changes throughout the organization.

Advertisements

He named former Mets’ general manager Sandy Alderson as the new team president and assumptions around the league are that current general manager Brodie Van Wagenen is going to be fired and replaced. He is also expected to make a splash in free agency now that the team has a larger pool of money to work with. The Mets finished last place in the NL East with a 26-34 record and haven’t made the playoffs since 2016 when they lost in the Wild Card game to the San Francisco Giants.

Despite their record, they have a great core of players with Jacob deGrom, Pete Alonso, Dominic Smith, Robinson Cano, Michael Conforto, and Brandon Nimmo.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: